Comic Relief Local Communities programme
This fund is currently closed for applications. Watch this space or subscribe to our e-newsletter for future news.
There are still many communities in the UK that suffer from economic and social deprivation and the current economic climate may make this situation worse.
For this reason, Comic Relief has decided that £4.5 million should be available to fund projects across the UK which are addressing these issues through a second phase of the 'Local Communities' programme
Comic Relief is pleased to be working with the Community Foundation Network (CFN) and Community Foundations across the UK, to deliver this Local Communities programme.
South Yorkshire Community Foundation is the delivery partner for the four boroughs of Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.
The Local Communities programme will run for two years and during this time, grants of between £1,000 and £10,000 will be available.
The programme aims to empower local people, enabling them to create lasting change in their communities. Projects should be run by people directly affected by the issues they are dealing with and priority will be given to small, locally based groups or organisations in areas of disadvantage that have a clear understanding of the needs of their community.
Comic Relief is particularly keen to support projects with the following beneficiaries:
Black Minority Ethnic communities, Homeless, Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender and Refugee/Asylum Seekers/Immigrants.
Under the programme, organisations can apply for funding to:
- increase local services
- build skills of local people
- increase community cohesion
- respond to local economic needs
Organisations which have received a Community Cash grant or any other grant from the South Yorkshire Community Foundation can apply for a Local Communities grant. However organisations which hold a grant directly from Comic Relief, can not apply for a Local Communities Grant.
A Local Communities grant must be at least 30% of the total cost of the project.
Who can apply?
- Community Groups
- Resident Associations
- Community Centres
- Social Enterprises/Community Interest Companies
- Credit Unions
Types of activities that might be funded:
- Furniture Projects
- Projects providing access to benefits advice
- Projects combating fuel poverty
- Community consultation exercises
- Community employment projects
- Food Co-ops
- Running costs; including salaries, core costs and project costs
- Committee and volunteer/staff training
- Community sport activities
Grants will not be awarded to:
- statutory organisations, including schools
- fund trips abroad
- fund buses, mini buses or other community transport schemes (not including transport costs forming part of a project)
- fund building costs, including access adaptations to buildings
- organisations which are in receipt of a grant directly from Comic Relief
When can you apply?
This fund is currently closed for applications. Watch this space or subscribe to e-newsletter for future news.
Please contact SYCF to discuss your project and or your eligibility before you apply or if you have any questions.
You can contact the grants team:
Phone: 0114 2424294 (Tuesday - Thursday only)